Senior mental health care in Greater Rochester
At Frisbie Memorial Hospital, our mental health care team is dedicated to providing compassionate care in an environment that is comfortable and safe for our patients.
Our program—specially designed to support the needs of seniors—offers comprehensive mental health care services, including psychotherapy and medication management.
For more information about our Senior Mental Health Services, call (603) 335-8871 or Consult-A-Nurse®.
Compassionate care for seniors
Frisbie Memorial Hospital provides comprehensive geriatric mental health care to adults, age 65 years old and older, in the greater Rochester area. Our dedicated team specializes in diagnosing and providing medical care to adults who are struggling with mental illness or behavioral conditions.
Our team works together to provide care to patients in three mains steps:
- Evaluation—The evaluation process involves a meeting between the geriatric psychiatrists/nurse practitioners and the patient to discuss symptoms, review medical/psychosocial history and conduct basic cognitive testing.
- Diagnosis—The information gathered from the evaluation will help to establish a diagnosis and guide the treatment plan. Depending on the diagnosis, a variety of interventions/treatments may be prescribed.
- Treatment—Our team works together to provide individualized treatment plans that are unique to the patient and are designed to improve quality of life. We offer an array of mental health treatments, including:
- Behavioral therapy
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- Medication prescription
- Medication management
Dedicated care team
We offer a multidisciplinary medical team that is dedicated to addressing patients’ mental, physical and social needs. Our team includes:
- Board-certified geriatric psychiatrists
- Licensed social workers
- Nurse practitioners
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Registered nurses
Conditions we treat
Our team is experienced in treating a wide range of mental and behavioral health conditions in seniors, including:
- Alzheimer's disease
- Behavioral conditions
Inpatient mental and behavioral health
For patients that need advanced, inpatient care, our hospital-based geriatric psychiatric program specializes in providing full-service mental and behavioral health care. We offer 24/7 monitoring for adults who have been diagnosed with an advanced mental or behavioral health condition.
Our department allows visitors to our inpatient program at the doctors' and patient's discretion. When entering, visitors are asked to report to the nursing station.
Referrals to our senior mental health program
Our goal is to help patients understand and find relief from their symptoms as quickly as possible, which is why we accept referrals from:
- Assisted living facilities
- Family caregivers
- Healthcare providers
- Home care agencies
- Mental health centers
- Nursing homes
If they are able to do so and feel it is the appropriate step, patients may also self-refer.
Please see the below sites for additional mental health resources: